It's hard to cross the street without running into yet another "SEO consultant".
Today's guest Kai Davis from Double Your Audience wore this same label when he started his SEO business. But an insight from a mentor lead Kai to evolve and rebrand himself using a term that better describes his work, but which virtually no one uses: an "outreach consultant".
Now Kai has crispy unique positioning in a category that he practically owns. Now you might think this is a disadvantage, since no one searches Google for an "outreach consultant", but as you will find Kai has actually used this unique positioning to develop a ridiculous advantage over his competition.
In this episode you will learn how to:
- Create the cocktail-party advantage through repositioning yourself.
- Get the right people to listen and read your content.
- Find and study your audience to deeply understand their needs.
- Narrow your target audience and become the expert in your niche.
- Obtain powerful economies of scale in your niche.
- Run a successful one-person consultancy rather than growing an overhead-heavy firm and why that might be a great option.
- Keep track of all your clients and their specific needs.
- Learn to say no to prospective clients who want to start right away, or how to wait until you have time.
- Value yourself as an asset, stop feeling guilty about your rates, take time for yourself, and why regularly seeing a therapist may be one of your most valuable business investments.
Connect with Kai Davis Online:
- DoubleYourAudience.com/transformation: Special link created by Kai for Freelance Transformation Listeners.
- DoubleYourAudience.com/advice: Kai's "ask me anything" advice page.
- The Positioning Manual by Phillip Morgan: learn how to position your services to clients.
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen: classic system for relieving the mental burden of a giant "todo list".
- Value Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth by Alan Weiss: learn how you provide value to your clients and how to price accordingly.
- Amy Hoy - UnicornFree.com: Creator of the "30x500" course.
- Merlin Mann: Who Moved My Brain? Video of a talk Merlin Mann (of 43 Folders) gave at Rutgers University.
- Nick Disabato - Draft Revise: Monthly service that optimizes your site and adapts it to the future.
- GetDrip: Email marketing automation tool.
- Google Forms: Free and simple form creation tool that outputs to a Google spreadsheet.
- Inbox Pause: Get yourself out of your inbox.
- Kanban Method: Storyboard-based scheduling method.
- Trello: Organization system, can be used to implement Kanban and more.
- Wufoo Forms:
Learned a Key Insight? Struggling on a Challenge?
Share your wins and questions on the material in the comments below.
Please consider leaving an honest review on iTunes. Your feedback helps the show rankings tremendously, makes it easier to bring on amazing guests, and is just a really simple and amazing way to show your support.